Viral vectors and plasmid DNA are used for the treatment of various diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and Parkinson’s disease. These are the products of gene therapy which can reduce the cost of treatment and reduce the repeated administration of medications.
Market Size Growth Rate:
According to the research report published by the DataM Intelligence, the North America viral vector and plasmid DNA manufacturing market size was valued at USD XX billion in 2021, it is projected to reach at USD XX billion by 2029, with growth at a CAGR of XX% over the forecast period 2022-2029.
There is increase in the launch of the contract manufacturing business for viral vectors and plasmid DNA manufacturing. For instance, in December 2019, Helixmith Co., Ltd. and Genopis had launched the contract manufacturing business for plasmid DNA production. With rising demand for COVID vaccine during the COVID period, several pharmaceutical companies such as AstraZeneca, and Janssen Pharmaceuticals has developed COVID-19 viral vector-based vaccine in December 2020 and February 2021, respectively. Apart from these companies, several viral vector-based vaccines are currently in the development phase. This has accelerated the demand for viral vectors, thereby increasing revenue for viral vector manufacturers.
The market is driven by the several factors such as increase in preference of viral vectors in various treatments, recombinant adeno-associated viral vectors as therapeutic agents to treat neurological disorders, rising number of gene therapy patients is expected to drive the market growth, increasing collaboration among companies and organizations for development of viral vectors, and increasing approvals for novel gene therapies. Increasing number of patients opting for gene therapy to treat diseases such as cancer, cystic fibrosis, heart disease, diabetes, hemophilia, and AIDS is one of the major factors driving the growth of the market over the forecast period.
However, some of the complex and expensive manufacturing processes are likely to hamper the market growth. The development of manufacturing processes for novel biotherapeutics is complex, time-consuming and expensive. Recombinant viral vector production is complex, with the production scale-up regarded as a major challenge technically and a large barrier for commercialization. In addition, risk associated with viral vector, limitation of gene therapy, and regulatory challenges are some of the restraints to the market growth.
The efficient production of viral vectors has opened new opportunities for researchers involved in a variety of focus areas including cell and gene therapy, and the development of new vaccines. Although COVID-19 didn’t launch the interest in viral vectors, it has accelerated the urgency to expand understanding and expertise in this exciting field..
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The increased COVID-19 vaccine demand across the world has accelerated the growth of the viral vector manufacturing market during the pandemic. Due to the relative ease of manufacturing viral vector vaccines, effective packaging cell line systems have been developed for many viral vector systems such as Ad (adenoviruses), AAV (Adeno-associated viruses), flaviviruses, and lentiviruses. This has also facilitated the rapid and efficient large-scale production of vaccine candidates that are eligible for clinical applications against COVID-19. Hence, the pandemic has positively impacted the viral vector and plasmid DNA manufacturing market in North America.
Recent Developments in the Industry:
- In March, 2021, PsiVac and Lonza Enter a Strategic Agreement for the Process Development and cGMP Manufacturing of Ixovex-1, a unique patented oncolytic virus designed to address key limitations of first- and second-generation oncolytic viruses and to provide personalized therapy for cancer patients.
- In February 2021, SIRION Biotech GmbH, has signed a license and collaboration agreement with Sanofi, to develop improved tissue-selective adeno-associated virus (AAV).
- In January 2021, FUJIFILM Corporation has invested around 4 billion yen ($40 million) in FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies, to establish a new process development and manufacturing facility for viral vectors and advanced therapies in the greater-Boston area.
As per the research analysis, the viral vector and plasmid DNA manufacturing market is segmented by type into retroviral vectors, adenoviral vectors, lentiviral vectors, adeno-associated viral vectors, others. Based on disease, the market is segmented into cancer, genetic disorder, infectious disease, other diseases. Further, by application, it is further divided into gene therapy, vaccinology and by end user, it segmented into pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies, and research institutes.
- On the basis of application, the vaccinology segment is estimated to grow at highest CAGR of 21.5% during the forecast period (2022-2029). Viral vector-based vaccines differ from most conventional vaccines in that they don’t contain antigens but rather use the body’s cells to produce them. Viral vector-based vaccines can enhance immunogenicity without an adjuvant and induce a robust cytotoxic T lymphocyte (CTL) response to eliminate virus-infected cells.
- Based on end user, pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies segment accounted for the largest market share of around 78% in 2020 and expected to grow at a CAGR of 20.6% during the forecast period (2022-2029). Major key players operating in the North America viral vector manufacturing market include Lonza, Merck, Oxford BioMedica, CGT Catapult, Cobra Biologics, UniQure, Sanofi, FUJIFILM, Diosynth Biotechnologies, Cobra Biologics, Spark Therapeutics and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. Companies are testing many technological advances and innovative strategies that address all aspects of viral-vector gene-therapy development.
The North America viral vector and plasmid DNA manufacturing market is segmented into major countries including US, Canada, and Mexico.
US Viral Vector And Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market:
In North America region, the United states holds the dominant share of about 71% in 2020, followed by Canada. The United States is the most lucrative market for viral vector and plasmid DNA manufacturing. Presence of several biopharmaceutical manufacturers in the U.S., coupled with advanced funding and public awareness are going to increase the market in North America. The Alliance for Regenerative Medicine (ARM), a U.S.-based non-profit organization in the field of gene therapy, reported a 164% increase in funding for gene and gene-modified cell therapy in 2017 over 2016 and a global investment of USD 4.5 billion in 2017. In November 2018, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) launched a new initiative to accelerate the adoption of gene therapy to cure around 20 million patients diagnosed with sickle cell disease. Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Viral Vector Core, Penn Vector Core, and American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy are some of the research institutes working in this segment..
The North America viral vector and plasmid DNA manufacturing market is highly competitive with presence of several major companies in this region adopting various strategies to expand their business. Several companies are entering into the collaboration with the several organizations for the manufacturing of the viral vectors. For instance, in February 2021, SIRION Biotech GmbH, a global leader in viral vector-based gene delivery technologies for gene & cell therapy, signed a license and collaboration agreement with Sanofi to develop improved tissue-selective adeno-associated virus (AAV) vectors to realize effective gene therapy treatments for disorders affecting major human organs.
Lonza, Merck, Oxford BioMedica, CGT Catapult, Cobra Biologics, UniQure, Sanofi, FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies, Cobra Biologics, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. and Spark Therapeutics are some of the major key players in the market.
Additional Benefits Post Purchase:
1) Unlimited Analyst support for a period of 1 year.
2) Any query with regards to the scope offered will be addressed within 24- 48 hours.
3) An excel sheet with market numbers will be provided separately.
The Full Report has the below insights:
- The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market in terms of Market Value (US$) and Y-o-Y Growth Rates (%). It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data (2020-2021), and verifiable projections about market size during the forecast period (2022-2029).
- Visualize the composition of the North America viral vector and plasmid DNA manufacturing market segmentation by type, disease, application, end user, and country highlighting the key commercial assets and players.
- By Type: Retroviral Vectors, Adenoviral Vectors, Lentiviral Vectors, Adeno-associated Viral Vectors, Others
- By Disease: Cancer, Genetic Disorder, Infectious Disease, Other diseases
- By Application: Gene Therapy, Vaccinology
- By End User: Pharmaceutical and Biopharmaceutical Companies, Research Institutes
- By Country: US, Canada, Mexico
- Identify commercial opportunities in the North America viral vector and plasmid DNA manufacturing market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- The report also covers data insights on various industry forces such as, porter’s five forces, regulations in each country, supply chain, pipeline analysis, and epidemiology.
- Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of North America viral vector and plasmid DNA manufacturing market-level 4/5 segmentation.
- PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Product mapping in excel for the key product of all major market players
- The report will provide access to approximately 50+ market data tables, 40+ figures, and close to 180 pages.
DataM Intelligence 4Market Research is a market intelligence platform which gives access to syndicated, customized reports and consulting to its clients at one place. As a firm with rich experience in research and consulting across multiple domains we are one stop solution that will cater to the needs of clients in key business areas. DataM Intelligence has an online platform whose coverage includes industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, health care services, animal feed and food & beverages among others. Our platform has Insights on markets that uncover latest market research data that’s distinct from the competition. With coverage across 10 major industries in the marketplace research, DataM Intelligence benefits thousands of companies by helping them take their innovations early to the market by providing a complete view of the market with statistical forecasts. Our strategy centric framework and value-added services will let individuals and corporates ease of access and custom personalization to research and markets.