Global Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.39% during the forecast period (2021 to 2026). The major factors driving the demand for Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market include the rising geriatric population base, growing prevalence of lifestyle disorders such as hypertension and diabetes, increasing prevalence of glaucoma, and technical innovation in product development. Some of the key companies in the Global Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market include Aurolab, Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Rheon Medical SA, Allergan (AbbVie), NovaEye Medical, Novartis, Glaukos Corporation, iSTAR Medical, Advanced Ophthalmic Innovations Pte Ltd, Santen SA, Ivantis Inc, New World Medical, Inc., and others.
DelveInsight’s “Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market Forecast” Report provides the current and forecasted Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market trends for the next five years, upcoming innovations in the devices, individual market shares, challenges, drivers & barriers, and key competitors in the market.
Glaucoma Drainage Devices Overview
A glaucoma implant is a small device placed in the eye to treat glaucoma. A glaucoma drainage implant creates a new way for aqueous humour to drain from the eye which helps to lower eye pressure. Glaucoma drainage devices are designed to divert aqueous humour from the anterior chamber to an external reservoir in order to regulate the aqueous humour flow, which lowers the intraocular pressure in the eye. Glaucoma drainage implant surgery is an alternative to Glaucoma Filtration Surgery (Trabeculectomy). There are several glaucoma implants types in the market available in various shapes and sizes. The two main Glaucoma implants types are resistance (valved) and non-resistance (non-valved) devices.
DelveInsight’s report provides an in-depth assessment into the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market, based on product type, end-user, and geography. As per the product type, it is segmented as Conventional Glaucoma Drainage Devices (Valveless and Valved), and Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery Devices (Schlemm’s Canal Migs Devices, Suprachoroidal Migs Devices, Subconjunctival Migs Devices), and others. By end-user, it is divided into Hospitals, Specialty Clinics, and Ambulatory Surgical Centers)/. Similarly, the report provides a detailed assessment by geography, covering North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of the World.
As per DelveInsight, minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS) devices are anticipated to hold a major chunk of market share during the forecast period. The higher preference by the end-users is the key factor for the elevated market share of the MIGS devices.
As per DelveInsight, the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market is expected to witness a growth in product demand in the coming years owing to the increasing number of diabetic, hypertensive, and elderly population base across the globe.
Age is considered as one of the key risk factors associated with the development of glaucoma, therefore, the rising elderly population is expected to lead to Glaucoma Drainage Devices demand globally, which in turn will increase the market size.
As per World Health Organization, in 2020, around one billion people across the world were over the age of 60. By 2050, the elderly population in the 60 and above age group is expected to double in number representing about 2.1 billion people, and people in the age group of 80 and above are estimated to triple between 2020 and 2050 to reach 426 million.
Moreover, hypertension is another key factor closely associated with the development of glaucoma. According to WHO (2021), around 1.28 billion adults in the 30-79 year age group are currently living with hypertension globally. It is observed that increased blood pressure results in increased eye pressure which in turn has been associated with an increase in the amount of fluid in the eye. This ultimately affects the drainage system of the eye and contributes to glaucoma development and progression over time.
However, there are several factors that hamper the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market growth. The postoperative complications associated with glaucoma drainage devices and the efficacy of these devices for a limited timeframe may be certain impeding factors to glaucoma drainage devices’ market growth.
Interested to know more about the ongoing developments in the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market? Visit to get an in-depth insight into Glaucoma Drainage Devices – Procedure, Types, and Emerging Products
As per DelveInsight, North America is expected to hold the major share in the glaucoma drainage devices market. Some of the key factors for the higher market share include the rising prevalence of the geriatric population and the increasing prevalence of diabetes. Diabetes is considered one of the major risk factors that may lead to glaucoma development. With the high presence of the diabetic population in the country, it is estimated that there may be an increase in the glaucoma patient population that may, in turn, drive the demand for glaucoma drainage devices in the forecast period. As per the National Diabetes Statistics Report published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), around 34.2 million Americans were diabetic in 2020 and approximately 88 million Americans showed pre-diabetes levels. Additionally, as per the CDC, African Americans constitute a high-risk group for glaucoma in the US and are 6 to 8 times more susceptible to get glaucoma than whites.
The rising government initiatives, the high disposable income, sophisticated healthcare infrastructure, and growth in initiatives for creating awareness regarding glaucoma prevalence and treatment will also aid in the growth of the North America Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market. Additionally, the conducive environment for product development and launches in the country motivates the market players to enhance their presence in North America, ultimately contributing to market growth.
Interested in knowing how the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market will be growing by 2026? Click to get a snapshot @ Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market Trends and Developments
Over the years, the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market has evolved immensely due to the technological advancement and the active participation of the global MedTech players in the domain.
Here are a few of the major Breakthroughs & key Innovations in the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market –
- In July 2021, the FDA granted the Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) to the MINIject device developed by iStar Medical. This paved the way for the company to start a pivotal trial- The STAR-V study, which will investigate the device in over 350 patients with primary open-angle glaucoma.
- In May 2021, Rheon Medical SA received the Breakthrough Device designation from the US Food and Drug Administration for their eyeWatch technology which is the world’s first adjustable glaucoma shunt for the treatment of refractory glaucoma.
- In August 2019, New World Medical Inc. launched the Ahmed ClearPath Glaucoma Drainage Device in the United States which is available in two sizes, 350 mm2, and 250 mm2.
As per DelveInsight, the ongoing clinical and commercial developments will contribute immensely to the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market Growth in the coming years.
Some of the key companies in the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market include Aurolab, Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. (NYSE: JNJ), Rheon Medical SA, Allergan (AbbVie) (CNSX: AGN), NovaEye Medical (ASX: EYE), Novartis (SWX: NOVN), Glaukos Corporation (NYSE: GKOS), iSTAR Medical, Advanced Ophthalmic Innovations Pte Ltd, Santen SA (OTCMKTS: SNPHY), Ivantis Inc, New World Medical, Inc., and others. Due to the very high growth rate and positive return, several new players are expected to enter the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market in the coming years, making it one of the most competitive domains in the healthcare sector.
Learn how new players’ entries will transform the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market in the coming years @ Glaucoma Drainage Devices’ Competitive Landscape.
Globally, the Covid-19 has significantly impacted the healthcare market. Countries across the globe have imposed severe restrictions to curb the spread of the virus. Hospitals have suspended elective and nonessential medical visits and procedures. Many ophthalmic surgeries were deemed non-essential during the initial lockdown period, thereby limiting the market growth for a short time. Similarly, the demand for glaucoma drainage devices has also decreased greatly due to lockdown measures and the higher preference to the Covid-19 affected patients.
With the increase in the vaccination and the rising awareness among the people, the Covid-19 associated mortality and the cases are expected to reduce in the coming months. Similarly, the governments are also giving relaxation in the Covid-19 lockdown measures. The global economy is expected to get on track with the ease of restrictions. Similarly, the demand for Glaucoma Drainage Devices is expected to bounce back. Additionally, the rising prevalence of hypertension and the growing geriatric population is also expected to contribute to the rising prevalence of glaucoma and the demand for the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market.
To gain a better understanding of potential new entrants in the market, competitive dynamics, and attractiveness of the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market market, connect with us to get Glaucoma Drainage Devices Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
Scope of the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market Report:
- Geography Covered: Global
- Study Period: 2018-2026
- Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market By Product Type –
- Conventional Glaucoma Drainage Devices – Valveless and Valved
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery Devices – Schlemm’s Canal Migs Devices, Suprachoroidal Migs Devices, Subconjunctival Migs Devices, and Others
- By End User – Hospitals, Specialty Clinics, and Ambulatory Surgical Center
- By Geography – North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World.
- Porter’s Five Forces Analysis, Product Profiles, Case Studies, KOL’s Views, Analyst’s View
Table of Contents
|3||Regulatory and Patent Analysis|
|4||Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market Key factors analysis|
|5||Glaucoma Drainage Devices Porter’s Five Forces Analysis|
|6||COVID-19 Impact Analysis on Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market|
|7||Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market Layout|
|8||Glaucoma Drainage Devices Global Company Share Analysis – Key 3-5 Companies|
|9||Glaucoma Drainage Devices Product Profiles and Key Companies|
Reach out to us to get a more detailed overview of the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Regulatory & Patent Analysis.
Key Takeaways From the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market Report Study
- In-depth analysis of the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market size, share, and key trends.
- Comprehensive analysis for current Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market size (2020), and market forecast for 5 years (2021-2026)
- The effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market is significant. To capture and analyze suitable indicators, our experts are closely watching the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market.
- Top key product/services/technology developments, merger, acquisition, partnership, joint venture happened for last 3 years
- Key companies dominating the Global Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market.
- Various opportunities are available for the other competitors in the Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market space.
- What are the top-performing segments in 2020? How these segments will perform in 2026.
- Which are the top-performing regions and countries in the current Glaucoma Drainage Devices Market scenario?
- Which are the regions and countries where companies should have concentrated on opportunities for Glaucoma Drainage Devices market growth in the coming future?
Related Healthcare Reports by DelveInsight
- Gene Therapy for Ocular Rare Disease Market
- Open-Angle Glaucoma Global API Manufacturers and merging Drugs Landscape
Trending Healthcare Blogs by DelveInsight
- Pharmaceutical Companies In The Eye Disorders Treatment Market
- Retinal Vein Occlusion Treatment Outlook
- Vernal keratoconjunctivitis Therapeutics Landscape
- Retinitis Pigmentosa Market Dynamics
- Thyroid Eye Disease Market
- Retinitis Pigmentosa Therapeutics Market Analysis
DelveInsight is a leading Business Consultant and Market Research firm focused exclusively on life sciences. It supports Pharma companies by providing comprehensive end-to-end solutions to improve their performance.
Get in touch with our team to get more detailed insights how the MedTech Market is expected to evolve in the coming years and to formulate innovative business solutions at MedTech Consulting Solutions