It’s that time of the year when we call on technological visionaries, medical futurists, and creative people of all kinds to submit medical science fiction stories to our annual Medgadget Sci-Fi Writing Contest. At Medgadget, we keep a record of the progress of medical technologies and hope to inspire you to imagine a future where medicine is able to do things that are currently deemed impossible or, even better, have not yet been imagined.
Medicine, and the people that work within this field, can be influenced by new ideas and technologies, and we hope participants in our writing contest will investigate how that happens and what it can lead to, both in good or not so good ways. Science fiction can entertain, certainly, but it can also help us face important issues and prepare for changes before they suddenly arrive. We hope our contest can help do that.
Many science fiction writers of the past have focused on space travel, surveillance, robotization, artificial intelligence, and how societies will change in the distant future. We encourage our contest’s participants to look into the future of medicine with the same excitement, skepticism, and hope as sci-fi writers did.
Here are the rules:
- Your original fictional essay has to be 250-2500 words of English language emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and marked as “Sci-Fi Writing Contest” entry.
- Top entries will be printed here and, therefore, must be safe for work and families. Please keep the language clean.
- Judges will be blinded. Blinded by your dazzling prose, yes, but also to your identity. We are assembling an all-star judging panel, including Medgadget editors, so you can be assured your work will be reviewed by accomplished writers, physicians, and a few fans of the Blade Runner.
- Submissions from anonymous writers are accepted, but we will need an address or PO Box to send you your prize!
- This year’s top winner will receive from us a gift, the very impressive Eko digital stethoscope that we reviewed recently.
- Second and third place winners will each receive a $50 Amazon gift card.
- Entries are due on November 19th. Winners will be announced, and stories reprinted here on Medgadget, on December 3rd. Send in your submissions to: email@example.com.
That’s it! Get your thinking and imagination caps on and start typing! Feel free to browse our archives … for inspiration.
Product page: Eko CORE Digital Stethoscope…