The global biodefense market was valued at USD 9.68 billion in 2015 and is expected to reach a value of USD 18.0 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is majorly governed by the initiatives undertaken in the U.S. This country is the largest revenue contributor and is anticipated to maintain its leading position throughout the forecast period. Moreover, the funding received by manufacturers through government-led biodefense projects, such as the BioShield initiative, is expected to significantly contribute to vaccine development during the forecast period.
The growing initiatives undertaken by the private players, such as PharmAthene, Inc.; Emergent BioSolutions, Inc.; and Ichor Medical Systems, are anticipated to support market expansion. The technological advancements in the detection systems, such as environmental detection (to treat biological target in the environment) and CHIP-based detection, is further supporting the emergence of this vertical.
The case of Ebola outbreak in 2014, especially in the U.S., west African countries, and the west European countries is prompting regional government investments, which is expected to boost the R&D efforts in developing countermeasures against Ebola. The west European countries include Spain, Norway, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Italy, Norway, Germany, France, and the UK.
Some of the factors that are anticipated to propel sector growth during the forecast period are stated below: –
- Based on the analysis of the World Food Program, approximately 750,000 people were anticipated to lose access to affordable food by the end of March 2015 due to the Ebola outbreak
- In the 2013 sarin gas and chemical attack, over 1,400 people died and approximately 9,400 people were affected in Syria. During the period, December 2012 to 2015, there were several victims identified to be harmed by Sarin gas, mustard, chlorine, and other unconfirmed poisonous gases.
Browse full research report on global biodefense market: http://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/biodefense-market
Further Key Findings from the Study Suggest:
- In 2015, anthrax was the largest application with a share of around 31.3%. The increasing government funding for the construction of technologically advanced centers and the advent of various technologies, such as gene chips, database management systems, and nanotechnology, is expected to spur demand.
- Others segment, which includes agents that cause glanders, tularemia, Ebola, and many more, are anticipated to grow at a significant rate. The growing prevalence of viral hemorrhagic fevers causing varied illnesses and the development of interventional products against these conditions are expected to propel the demand.
- In 2015, North America held the majority revenue share of over 89.9%. The government initiatives promoting the biodefense sector with funding is a major factor impelling growth in this space.
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to be the fastest growing region. The presence of unmet demand for anti-cancer treatments, rapidly expanding pharmaceutical industry, and growing investment in countries, such as China, Japan, and India, for biodefense are expected to support the emergence of this market in the coming years.
- Some of the key players are Xoma Corporation, PharmAthene, Emergent Biosolutions, Dynavax Technologies Inc., SIGA Technologies, Elusys Therapeutics, Ichor Medical Systems Inc., DynPort Vaccine Company LLC, Cleveland BioLabs, Inc., Bavarian Nordic, Achaogen, Nanotherapeutics, Inc., and Alnylam Pharmaceuticals.
Related reports by Grand View Research:
Grand View Research has segmented the biodefense market by application and region:
Global Product outlook (Revenue in USD Million, 2014 – 2025)
- Radiation/Nuclear Defense
Regional outlook (Revenue in USD Million, 2014 – 2025)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
Access research insights – http://www.grandviewresearch.com/research-insights/biodefense-market-insights-size-share
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, Inc. is a U.S. based market research and consulting company, registered in the State of California and headquartered in San Francisco. The company provides syndicated research reports, customized research reports, and consulting services. To help clients make informed business decisions, we offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across a range of industries, from technology to chemicals, materials and healthcare.
Read Our Blogs – grandviewresearch.com/blogs/healthcare
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519