With five-year survival only approximately 5%, pancreatic cancer is characterized as a disease with some of the highest unmet need in oncology. This report focuses on the current treatment landscape, unmet needs, pipeline and commercial opportunity in the pancreatic cancer market with coverage of both the early stage resectable and advanced settings. Celgenes Abraxane was launched in the US and Europe in 2013 and 2014, respectively, and was the first drug approved in this disease in nearly a decade. Due to the high unmet need, GlobalData forecasts the rapid uptake of Abraxane, and sales of this drug are expected to drive the overall pancreatic cancer market and are forecast to represent greater than 50% of total market sales in 2017. GlobalData also forecasts the launch of five new pipeline agents into the pancreatic cancer market. Despite the launch of new agents, GlobalData expects significant opportunities to remain for developers of drugs with predictive biomarker-driven strategies. The challenge for new entrants will be to design adequate clinical studies that assess pipeline drugs in carefully selected patient populations and incorporate the current standard-of-care chemotherapies, such as GemAbrax, as backbone regimens. With Big Pharma being actively involved in early-stage innovative projects, GlobalData expects clinical development in pancreatic cancer to accelerate at the end of the forecast period and beyond.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the areas of highest unmet need in pancreatic cancer?
- What are the R&D and clinical trial design strategies pursued by companies in the pancreatic cancer space?
- What are the most promising pipeline agents for pancreatic cancer? How do their clinical and commercial attributes compare to one another and the current standard of care?
- What opportunities will remain for future players following the launch of these pipeline agents?
- What is the potential for predictive biomarkers and targeted therapies in the pancreatic cancer setting?
- What exciting, innovative approaches are being investigated in pancreatic cancer?
- The pancreatic cancer market, in the 6MM is forecasted to rapidly increase from $529m in 2012 to $1.63bn in 2017, at a CAGR of 25.2%. This growth is driven by the adoption of premium-priced Abraxane into clinical practice, as well as the launch of five novel pipeline agents towards the end of the forecast period.
- Although the approval of Abraxane has been welcomed by KOLs, they are not satisfied with the overall survival benefit of two months compared with gemcitabine monotherapy, and call for novel, predictive, biomarker-driven targeted therapies in order to substantially extend survival.
- Overview of pancreatic cancer, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, prognosis, and clinical staging.
- Topline pancreatic cancer therapeutics market revenue from 20122017. Annual cost of therapy, and major marketed and pipeline drug sales in this forecast period are included.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, R&D strategies, and clinical trial design for the pancreatic cancer therapeutics market.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the 6MM pancreatic cancer market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the 6MM pancreatic cancer therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.