Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is characterized by excessive levels of inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity, either alone or in combination that have a significant social impact through disruptions at school, work, home, and in relationships. The majority of children with the disorder will continue to experience symptoms into adolescence. 30-50% of children diagnosed with ADHD continue to have problems into adulthood resulting in 2-¬5% of adults having ADHD.
Growth is expected in the global ADHD marketplace, despite the market being widely genericized. This will be driven largely by the anticipated launch of assets from the heavily populated ADHD pipeline, as these products offer clinical advantages that will drive strong uptake. Furthermore, the number of drug-treated patients will increase over the forecast period, driven by increased treatment rates throughout the 7MM, particularly in the adult age group.
– The ADHD market has been dominated by stimulant therapy, with only three approved non-stimulant drugs approved that cannot compete with stimulant drugs in terms of efficacy. Due to lack of evidence for long-term safe use of stimulants, non-stimulants are becoming increasingly popular in the 7MM. Both stimulant and non-stimulant therapies are anticipated to reach the market within the forecast period. How will these change the market overall during the forecast period? Will stimulants maintain market dominance in 2024?
– The current late stage ADHD pipeline is heavily populated, drugs designed to satisfy what GlobalData has identified as unmet needs. Which of these will have the biggest impact on the market? What strategies are developers undertaking to penetrate this crowded market?
– ADHD is becoming increasingly recognized, particularly n the adult population, leading to increase number in treated patients across the 7MM. How will these changes impact the growth of the future market?
– The main driver of growth in the ADHD market will be the increase in the number of drug-treated patients, driven by an increase in treatment rates expected to 2024, particularly in the adult age group.
– Lack of awareness and recognition of ADHD leads to misdiagnosis; this has acted as a barrier to appropriate treatment for ADHD.
– The arrival of new therapies across the 7MM will increase treatment rates and provide alternative options for many patients, particularly those who have difficulty or who dislike swallowing pills and those who choose non-stimulant therapy.
– One of the key unmet needs in the ADHD market of additional treatment options will be somewhat satisfied by the emerging pipeline assets during the forecast. Despite the increasingly competitive nature of the ADHD market, lucrative opportunities remain for products that target unmet needs. In addition, providing clinically relevant, head-to-head comparisons is an important consideration for companies developing drugs to treat these patients.
– Overview of ADHD, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
– Annualized ADHD market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2014 and forecast for ten years to 2024.
– Key topics covered include market characterization, unmet needs, R&D and clinical trials assessment, late stage clinical trial analysis and implications for the ADHD therapeutics market.
– Pipeline analysis: focus on 13 late-stage pipeline ADHD drugs discussing emerging trends as well as an overview of earlier phase drugs.
– Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global ADHD therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to –
– Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline. Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
– Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global ADHD therapeutics market.
– Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global ADHD therapeutics market in future.
– Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
– Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
– Track drug sales in the global ADHD therapeutics market from 2014-2024.
– Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 11
1.1 List of Tables 17
1.2 List of Figures 24
2 Introduction 26
2.1 Catalyst 26
2.2 Related Reports 27
2.3 Upcoming Related Reports 27
3 Disease Overview 28
3.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology 28
3.1.1 Etiology 28
3.1.2 Pathophysiology 31
3.2 Classification 32
3.2.1 Predominantly Inattentive Type 33
3.2.2 Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type 33
3.2.3 Combined Type 34
3.2.4 Other Specified ADHD Type 34
3.2.5 Unspecified Type 34
3.2.6 Severity 34
3.3 Symptoms 35
3.4 Prognosis 36
4 Epidemiology 38
4.1 Disease Background 38
4.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities 39
4.3 Global Trends 41
4.3.1 US 41
4.3.2 5EU 41
4.3.3 Japan 43
4.4 Forecast Methodology 43
4.4.1 Sources Used Tables 44
4.4.2 Forecast assumptions and methods 48
4.4.3 Sources Not Used 61
4.5 Epidemiological Forecast for ADHD (2014-2024) 62
4.5.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of ADHD 62
4.5.2 Age-Specific Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of ADHD 64
4.5.3 Sex-Specific Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of ADHD 66
4.5.4 Age-Standardized Prevalence of ADHD 68
4.5.5 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of ADHD by Subtype 69
4.6 Discussion 73
4.6.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight 73
4.6.2 Limitations of the Analysis 75
4.6.3 Strengths of the Analysis 76
5 Disease Management 77
5.1 Diagnosis and Treatment Overview 77
5.1.1 Diagnosis 77
5.1.2 Treatment Guidelines and Leading Prescribed Drugs 79
5.1.3 Clinical Practice 84
5.2 US 85
5.3 5EU 89
5.4 Japan 95
6 Competitive Assessment 99
6.1 Overview 99
6.2 Product Profiles – Amphetamine (Stimulant) 102
6.2.1 Dextroamphetamine 103
Partner Relations & Marketing Manager
Ph: +1-646-845-9349 (US)
Ph: +44 208 133 9349 (UK)
Get in touch: