Medtronic won FDA approval to allow patients with its SureScan MR-conditional pacemakers, implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs), cardiac resynchronization therapy-defibrillators (CRT-Ds), and accompanying leads, to receive up to 3 Tesla MRI scans over any part of the body.
Most hospitals still use 1.5 Tesla scanners, but 3 Tesla MRIs are becoming more popular due to the higher image quality and faster scan times that they provide.
Here’s the full list of devices that received the new FDA approval:
- Advisa MRI Pacemakers and Micra Transcatheter Pacemaker
- Amplia MRI and Compia MRI Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Defibrillators
- Evera MRI and Visia AF MRI DF-1 and DF4 Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators
- Reveal LINQ Insertable Cardiac Monitor
- SureScan Pacing, Defibrillation and Left-Heart Leads