Medtronic‘s Barrx division is releasing the Barrx 360 Express radiofrequency ablation balloon catheter for treating cases of Barrett’s esophagus. It’s initially being rolled out in the U.S. with European, New Zealand, and Australian releases coming later in the year. The device was designed to cut down ablation procedure times by approximately 20% thanks to fewer operational steps and the device’s feature of being able to set its size depending on the width of the patient’s esophagus.
The balloon has been made wider and longer than previous devices, and it’s self-adjusting to make things easier for the physician that otherwise has to switch between different catheter sizes.
Here are the specs of the Barrx 360 Express RF balloon catheter:
• Electrode Length: 4 cm
• Balloon Length: 8 cm
• Device Diameter Range: 18-31 mm
• Balloon Max Pressure: 4 psi
• Generator Compatibility: Flex RFA Energy Generator ONLY
• Number of Ablations: 16
• Generator Energy Setting: 10J/cm2
• Guidewire Compatibility: Stiff wire, .035”-.039” in diameter
• Expiration: 6 hours after first inflation, 3-year shelf life
Product page: Barrx 360 Express RFA Balloon Catheter…