Medtronic received regulatory approval and is launching in the EU its Euphora semicompliant balloon dilation catheter.
The device allows for a pre-dilation procedure that can be beneficial in determining the nature of the lesion, helping to decide on which stent to use and preparing the area for stenting.
Some features of the device according to Medtronic’s announcement:
- Delivery system with PowerTrac(TM) technology to provide superior deliverability (compared to major competitors)i through tight lesions. The delivery system was first introduced with the Medtronic NC Euphora(TM) Noncompliant Balloon Dilatation Catheter last year and is also featured with the Medtronic Resolute Onyx(TM) drug-eluting stent.
- Ultra-slim balloon material, a tapered proprietary inner shaft design and an optimized mini-wrap to reduce the wall thickness of the balloon and contribute to the extremely low crossing profile.
- Significantly improved insertion and retraction force to enhance navigation to lesion sites when using the Kissing Balloon Technique, a method for treating bifurcated lesions.ii
- Environmentally friendly packaging, a reduced box size that has a smaller footprint on congested shelves and improved product labeling for fast readability to improve efficiency in the cath lab.
- Enhanced “crossability” may create economic value to the cath labs through the use of a single balloon prepping a lesion, thus reducing the need for the “step up” technique which requires several balloons of different size to first cross the tight lesions and then gradually expand sizing before treating with a stent.