GE Healthcare has announced its new Discovery IQ PET/CT scanner. The system offers the greatest sensitivity (up to 22 cps/kBq) and the largest axial field-of-view (up to 26 cm) of any available PET/CT device. This should allow radiologists to visualize smaller lesions while delivering smaller radiation doses.
The system is powered by the new GE LightBurst PET detector that the company promises can perform scans at half the dose and in half the time compared to conventional systems. The system can correct for motion, as when performing visualization of the thoracic cavity.
Some of the system features from the announcement:
- GE Healthcare’s Q.Clear PET reconstruction technology, providing up to 2x improvement in both image quality and quantitation accuracy
- A fully scalable system, allowing for the ability to upgrade as department needs change.
- This platform will be available also for the mobile market – enabling the latest technology across both fixed and mobile environments.
- The new platform design and the new LightBurst detector technology allow for whole organ imaging via fast scans at low dose to help maximize patient comfort and safety.
- Fast electronics and a dual acquisition channel that enables high quantitative accuracy for all clinically relevant tracers.