Concussions can be difficult to notice among athletes coming back from the field, so indirect assessments of reaction times, balance, and other performance characteristics are typically used. One is the Balance Error Scoring System (BESS) that involves an athlete performing a number of tasks while someone watches and analyzes how well those are performed.
The new MobileMat BESS device from Tekscan (South Boston, MA) helps to improve BESS testing by monitoring and analyzing the pressure that the feet apply to the pad, and the system produces results that remove a lot of uncertainty stemming from subjective human assessment.
From the product page:
- Performs objective, consistent and reliable balance error scoring independent of the tester’s training and experience
- Intuitive, easy-to-use software
- Streamlines the BESS testing process
- No clinical expertise or special training is required to operate the MobileMat BESS
- Generates scorecards and reports at the push of a button
- Validated by researchers at the University of Delaware
Product page: MobileMat BESS…