Tangent Medical (Ann Arbor, MI) is releasing its NovaCath Integrated IV Catheter System in the US, having received FDA clearance for it last year.
The NovaCath is designed for improved stability during and after positioning and helps ensure clinicians don’t get exposed to patients’ blood.
- 360° stabilization frame remains folded out of the way until needle is safely encapsulated
- Extension tubing and dual vented flash chambers create primary and secondary flash confirmation – allows pre-priming of extension set without disruption to primary flash
- Flow-control clamp and closed, vented system provide multi-access blood control
- Unique internal 180° fluid path turn eliminates external “J-loop” and creates low profile
- Flexible securement frame provides 360° of Advanced Catheter Stabilization™
- Soft, ergonomic hub supports high conformity to a variety of different insertion sites and patient populations
NovaCath is the first safety IV catheter offering advanced catheter stabilization technology designed to exceed the highest CDC, OSHA and INS standards for IV catheter stabilization. Its passive needle shielding technology and closed system design minimizes occupational exposure to blood to the lowest feasible extent. Several patented design features uniquely position NovaCath to offer healthcare facilities uncompromising safety and satisfaction – both to the clinician and the patient. NovaCath’s ergonomic design and soft materials will improve patient comfort and minimize the risk of pressure ulcers that can result from use of traditional catheters. In addition, its 180-degree fluid-path turn eliminates the J-Loop, which can cause IV tubing snags and catheter dislodgement. NovaCath’s pre-assembled, all-in-one system minimizes IV catheter set-up time and risk of touch-point contamination.