Straub Medical (Wangs, Switzerland) is releasing its Capturex pulmonary embolism protection device in select markets following receipt of the European CE Mark. The filter is designed for work within the superior and inferior vena cava, preventing loose plaque from traveling downstream after being dislodged during a thrombectomy.
The Capturex can securely cover a vessel between 20mm and 30mm in diameter, while permitting blood to pass through. The collected material can be safely removed using Straub’s 6F Aspirex S catheter through the same shaft as the Capturex, or from the other side using the same device used to perform the thrombectomy.
Features according to Straub:
- Complete filtering of emboli from the bloodstream in the vena cava inferior or superior during thromb-ectomy procedures
- Self-centering, no-tilting
- Total trans-luminal filtration across the entire lumen of the vessel
- Capturing thrombi and detritus with high efficiency
- Preventing embolisms to the lung arteries or paradox embolisms to the arterial system
- Save retraction of the captured material, even if infectious, from the central venous system
- Immediate and easy removal of the whole system after the intervention.
Here’s a video showing how to setup the device:
Product page: Capturex…