Thoratec received FDA clearance to offer its Pocket Controller for patients using the company’s HeartMate II LVAD (left ventricular assist device). The controller has been made lighter and smaller than previous generation models, and has an internal battery that can energize the pump at full power for 15 minutes when disconnected from the main source.
The device sounds alarms and provides on-screen instructions for what to do, but otherwise stays quietly hidden in a pant pocket.
- Backup battery provides at least 15 minutes of full power for peace of mind in an emergency situation
- Prioritized visual alarms with clear, actionable instructions. On-screen instructions eliminate the need for guesswork
- Driveline diagnostic capabilities for continuity check for added security that the driveline wires are intact and functional
- Programmed for use in 30 languages, convenient for centers serving a diverse patient population
- Design features make it easy to teach and intuitive to learn how to live with the HeartMate II
Product page: HeartMate II Pocket Controller…