Covidien is releasing a new line of cuffless Shiley neonatal and pediatric trachs, in an expanded range of tube sizes (down to a 2.5mm inner diameter) and with new features such as “a soft, clear flange that facilitates easier examination of the underlying skin for infection and eases trach-tube holder insertion.” More details from the product page:
- Shiley™ tracheostomy solutions meet the latest safety standards, offering tubes that are manufactured with non-phthalate citric-based plasticizer materials
- The Shiley™ tube’s clear flange allows for enhanced visualization of the underlying skin and stoma site.
- Shiley™ tracheostomy solutions are manufactured with varying flange angles to help provide a better fit for infants and children as they grow.
- Shiley™ tracheostomy tubes include a comfort recess designed to help reduce pressure on the patients skin.
- The flange on a Shiley™ tracheostomy tube includes a recess to make insertion of a tape tie or tracheostomy tube holder simple and to reduce contact with the patient’s skin.