Cytotoxic antineoplastic chemo agents are dangerous substances, and handling them is a potential occupational hazard that requires careful attention. BD Medical has announced it won FDA approval for its BD PhaSeal Closed System Transfer Device (CSTD) that keeps hazardous drugs safely in a sealed and pressure controlled environment.
The approval is the first for such a device under new guidelines that required “no escape of hazardous drug or vapor concentration, no transfer of environmental contaminants, and prevention of microbial ingress,” according to the company.
Features from the product page:
- As of January 2012, BD PhaSeal has more clinical studies published than any other closed-system drug transfer device. Its airtight, leakproof performance is proven by 19 independent, peer-reviewed, published studies
- BD PhaSeal meets the NIOSH airtight and leakproof definition of a closed-system drug transfer device
- Airtight Expansion Chamber captures aerosols and vapors
- Double Membrane provides dry, leakproof connections
- Universally compatible with all brands of infusion sets and standard size drug vials
- Customized clinical training and ongoing support
- BPA free and latex free/non-DEHP
- The BD PhaSeal System is closed from preparation and administration to waste disposal.
Product page: BD PhaSeal…
Press release: BD PhaSeal™ System Receives Clearance from FDA Under Newly Created ONB Product Code