Dexcom (San Diego, CA) received FDA clearance for its G4 Platinum continuous glucose monitoring system. It includes an under-skin sensor, a wireless transmitter, and the interactive monitor that picks up readings from within 20 feet (6 meters).
This is a considerably improved device over their slightly older Seven Plus model, offering greater accuracy in trials, a significantly cooler look, and a new display that charts glucose levels and displays alerts.
Clinical trials report up to approximately 19 percent improvement in overall accuracy for the Dexcom G4 PLATINUM compared to the Seven Plus, and approximately a 30 percent improvement in accuracy in the hypoglycemia range (i.e., when blood glucose is less than 70mg/dl). The overall accuracy and ease of use for the Dexcom G4 PLATINUM sets a new standard for commercially available CGMs, making the Dexcom G4 PLATINUM the most-advanced CGM system available.
The Dexcom G4 PLATINUM offers not only outstanding accuracy and performance, but many new capabilities, including:
- Longest transmission range, enabling improved patient flexibility and convenience
- A smaller, discrete profile that fits busy lifestyles
- A first-of-its-kind color LCD display for easy viewing
- Customizable alerts with specific tones
- “Hypo alert” setting at 55 mg/dl that provides an increased level of safety – a feature that no other device has.
Product page: Dexcom G4 Platinum…