European regulators have given their OK to perform head-only MRI scans on patients implanted with Boston Scientific‘s PRECISION PLUS spinal cord stimulator (SCS).
The rechargeable stimulator is used to address acute refractory pain and has been implanted in over 60,000 patients since receiving approval in the U.S. and Europe in 2004 and 2005, respectively.
System features from the product page:
- The Precision Plus™ system is the only SCS system with Multiple Independent Current Control, which means that each electrode contact on the lead has its own, dedicated power source. All other SCS systems have just a single power source that must be shared by all contacts on the lead. Multiple Independent Current Control allows the clinician to precisely target pain by moving the electric field between simultaneously active contacts.
- Studies have shown that impedances change along the lead both at time of implant and as tissue encapsulates the lead over time. These impedance changes alter the electric fields that drive therapy. The Precision Plus system is the only system that automatically adjusts for impedance changes to maintain the prescribed therapy over time.
- The Precision Plus system is the only system powered by a revolutionary Zero-Volt™ battery that can be completely discharged without causing battery failure, which can reduce surgical interventions. Similar to cell phones, conventional SCS systems rely on rechargeable batteries that fail or suffer irreversible damage when over-discharged.
- Precision Plus is the only SCS system that allows patients to control their therapy with a wireless patient Remote Control that never uses a cord.
- Precision Plus is the first and only system that is designed to precisely target pain through patient interaction with a user-friendly Joystick.
- Precision Plus is the only system that offers leads with 1 mm-spaced contacts designed to sculpt the electric field and eliminate “dead spots” along the lead.
Product page: Precision Plus SCS System…
Flashbacks: Boston Scientific Introduces First 16-Contact Percutaneous SCS Lead; Boston Scientific’s Clik Anchor for Faster, Easier SCS Lead Placements;Boston Scientific Announces FDA Approval of Two Precision Plus SCS Leads