The British Columbia Medical Association put its collection of antique medical devices online for all to peruse, featuring items “that range from the curious to the macabre”.
Here’s info about the displayed breast pump from the mid-1800’s:
A breast suction pump in green velvet lined box consisting of brass suction pump with piston rod, which has an ivory thumb rest and leather clad plunger base, which screws onto glass breast suction cup. Small oblong brass plaque on lid of box, lock plate and hook catches.
a) Lined case with plaque, lock plate and catch hooks
b) Suction cup with red fixative holding fitting
c) Screw cap for suction cup brass fitting
d) Pump cylinder
e) Piston rod
History of Use: Probably belonged to Dr. C.C. Covernton’s great grandfather, Dr. Charles William Covernton, who graduated from Edinburgh c.1830. He moved to Simco Ont. 1836. He later moved to Toronto and became one of the 1st President of the Ont. Med. Assoc. 1881-1882.