F.A. Davis Company and Unbound Medicine, Inc. have just introduced a new online version of the popular Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary. Providing all the content of the hardbound copy, the online version sports such capabilities as extensively cross-linked terms & topics, 2,500 audio pronunciations, customized bookmarks, sophisticated searching that includes full-text, advanced, and “sounds like” searching, and links into Unbound MEDLINE. These features were not available in the old version of Taber’s Online.
Taber’s Online is a paid service at thirty bucks for the subscription. Users can get access to the site, for one year, with a purchase of the book . There are other plans available, such as Taber’s for Web + Mobile Devices, or by purchase Nursing Central, which bundles Taber’s with other top-selling nursing reference products for Web-Wireless-PDA access.
Taber’s is offering a free subscription for one year to one of our readers, who correctly completes the following short quiz, and posts (correct) answers in the comments section of this post. Medgadget will randomly select a winner. Good luck!!!
Update: The contest is over, thanks for playing.
Press to open the Taber’s Challenge:
1. Choose the best definition for Balantidium coli:
1. genus of flagellate parasitic protozoa
2. largest protozoan parasite of humans
3. genus of ciliated protozoa
2. What is a bacterium?
1. specialized structure within a cell that performs a distinct function
2. pathogen made of nucleic acid inside a protein shell
3. one-celled organism without a true nucleus or cell organelles
3. Choose the most appropriate definition for Candida:
1. any fungal infection of the bronchi or bronchial tubes
2. yeasts that develop a pseudomycelium and reproduce by budding
3. lesion of the skin or mucous membranes
4. What is Darier’s sign?
1. skin change produced when the skin lesion in urticaria pigmentosa is rubbed briskly
2. yellow staining of the skin around the umbilicus
3. dramatic movements of the arms across the torso
5. What is Fasciola hepatica?
1. lung infection caused by Streptococcus, Staphylococcus aureus, and Klebsiella
2. parasite that lives on the outer surface of the body, such as fleas, lice, or ticks
3. common liver fluke
6. Choose the most appropriate definition for “koilonychias”:
1. discoloration of the base, or lunulae, of the fingernails
2. fungal infection of the nails marked by thickening, scaling, and discoloration of the nailbed
3. dystrophy of the fingernails in which they are thin and concave with raised edges
7. What is sarcoidosis?
1. chronic multisystem disease characterized by noncaseating granulomas and lymphocytic alveolitis
2. systemic, fungal, respiratory disease caused by Histoplasma capsulatum
3. genus of fungi of the family Moniliaceae
8. Choose the best definition for “Telangiectasia”:
1. vascular lesion formed by dilatation of a group of small blood vessels
2. rare, progressive, autosomal recessive, degenerative disease characterized by severe photosensitivity
3. acute infectious disease marked by a “dewdrop on a rose petal” pattern rash
9. What is an Unna’s boot ?
1. type of cast bar used between upper femoral casts to maintain abduction
2. boot-like dressing of the lower extremity used for treating chronic ulcers of the leg
3. basket-weave bandage made of adhesive tape
10. What is naproxen?
1. beta-adrenergic blocking agent
2. calcium channel blocker, administered orally or intravenously
3. orally administered apropionic acid of therapeutic class nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent
Thank you for completing the Taber’s Online Challenge!