In an article at the Globes [online] we read about Israeli company Simbionix Ltd., a medical simulator start-up. The company has many interesting simulators such as GI Mentor (i.e. upper & lower GI scopes), URO Mentor (i.e. endourology), PERC Mentor (i.e. fluoroscopy-assisted percutaneous procedures), and ANGIO Mentor (i.e. self-explanatory).
We were particularly intrigued by LAP Mentor, a laparoscopic sim system.
Company’s take on its device:
Our new 2nd generation LAP Mentor II Simulator features an advanced, ergonomic design that is both portable and user-friendly. The simulator handles on this sleek system are completely extractable for easy switching to suturing handles.
In addition, the improved haptic interface on the new LAP Mentor II offers enhanced tactile feedback, performance and reliability…
The following features are an integral part of the simulator:
- Growing library of modules and training curricula
The LAP Mentor training system incorporates a variety of practice opportunities, and provides a laparoscopic training curriculum made up of basic skills, tutorials of procedural tasks, and simulation of a full procedure. This cost-effective simulator design can accommodate on-going development, including the addition of new procedures and a wider variety of virtual patients and tasks.
- Realism – realistic visualization of the human anatomy that provides a life-like view of the intraabdominal cavity. One can maneuver the gallbladder, expose the cystic duct and artery, clip and cut the cystic duct and artery and separate the gallbladder from the liver with electrocauterization.
- Tactile sensations – Provides realistic surgical simulations by incorporation of tactile sensations in the use of laparoscopic instruments that imitate real-life (haptic system).
- Management mode – for organization of trainees, courses and workshops. The data collection and exporting features of this mode facilitate research work as well.
- Extensive evaluation parameters for each performance on the simulator.
- Variety of educational aids.
The company’s software modules for LAP Mentor feature such procedures as “Basic Tasks”, Suturing, Lap Chole, Ventral Hernia, and Gastric Bypass. Below is a screen shot of the ventral hernia repair module.